JERUSALEM, May 18 (Xinhua) -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Monday that Israeli commando forces "stopped" ships from the Global Sumud Flotilla from reaching Gaza.
Israel began on Monday morning to intercept the boats in international waters, about 250 nautical miles from Gaza's coast, according to the Global Sumud Flotilla.
Activists and medical staff set sail with more than 50 vessels of the humanitarian flotilla from Türkiye's Marmaris coast last Thursday in a third attempt to break Israel's naval blockade of Gaza and deliver aid to Palestinians.
"We stopped the flotilla headed for the terrorists in Gaza," Netanyahu wrote on Telegram.
Netanyahu released video footage of himself speaking with a naval commando commander as Israeli forces were taking over the boats. In the video, he was seen watching the interception from military headquarters in Tel Aviv and telling the commander to "continue until the end."
He described the flotilla as a "malicious plan to break the isolation we have imposed on Hamas militants in Gaza."
"Military vessels are currently intercepting our fleet and (Israeli) forces are boarding the first of our boats in broad daylight," the Global Sumud Flotilla said on X.
"We demand safe passage for our legal, non-violent humanitarian mission," it said.
Live video streams from some of the boats showed commandos boarding vessels as activists sat on deck with their hands raised.
Earlier on Monday, the Israeli Foreign Ministry called on the activists "to change course and turn back immediately," denouncing the flotilla as "a provocation."
A previous flotilla, comprising about 20 boats and 175 activists, was intercepted by Israeli forces on April 30 near the southern Greek island of Crete. Two activists were detained for days before being released. Dozens of activists said they were mistreated, abused and beaten by Israeli forces.
The flotilla, carrying aid and medical staff, says it aims to draw international attention to dire conditions in Gaza, where much of the enclave lies in ruins. At least 72,763 people have been killed by Israeli fire since October 2023 and 172,664 injured, according to Gaza health authorities. ■



