JERUSALEM, Feb. 19 (Xinhua) -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Thursday that the country is on high alert and preparing for all scenarios as tensions between the United States and Iran escalate.
Speaking at a graduation ceremony for combat officers, Netanyahu warned that if Tehran were to strike Israel, it would face a response "beyond their imagination." Tehran has previously warned it would strike U.S. and Israeli targets if it came under attack.
Netanyahu said Israel is "ready and vigilant" to defend itself. Highlighting his country's alignment with the United States and its preparations amid a narrowing diplomatic window, Netanyahu said Israel is "operating in close coordination with our ally, the United States."
He said the Middle East is at a crossroads while Iran and Hezbollah are "regrouping" and rebuilding their power. "We are prepared for any scenario," he added.
Netanyahu said that during his recent meeting with U.S. President Donald Trump, he conveyed the principles Israel believes should guide any negotiations with Tehran. Israel has been a vocal opponent of any nuclear deal with Iran and demands that Iran be stripped of its ballistic missile capabilities as well.
Speaking at the same ceremony, the military's Chief of Staff Eyal Zamir echoed the comments, saying "our finger on the trigger is more alert than ever in the face of any change in operational reality -- whoever seeks to test our resolve will encounter a force that will exact an immediate and heavy price from them."
Their remarks come amid heightened tensions between Tehran and Washington sparked by a U.S. military buildup in the West Asia region.
Iran and the United States concluded the second round of indirect nuclear talks in Geneva on Tuesday. The negotiations were held at Oman's embassy in the Swiss city and mediated by Omani Foreign Minister Sayyid Badr bin Hamad bin Hamood Albusaidi. The first round of the indirect negotiations was held in the Omani capital Muscat on Feb. 6. ■



