SYDNEY, Feb. 19 (Xinhua) -- Police in the Australian state of New South Wales said in a statement on Thursday that a man had been charged with alleged terrorism offences after drugs and phones were seized during a vehicle stop in Sydney's southwest.
Police said that officers stopped a car while patrolling the Yagoona area in southwest Sydney on Dec. 31, 2025, and seized an amount of drugs, cash and three mobile phones during a search of the vehicle.
A 31-year-old man was arrested and charged with multiple offences. He was refused bail and appeared in court on Jan. 1, 2026, where he was granted conditional bail.
As inquiries continued, officers examined the three mobile phones seized during the arrest and allegedly found violent extremist material stored on a device. At about 6 a.m. local time on Wednesday, officers executed a Commonwealth warrant at a home in Bass Hill, a suburb in southwestern Sydney, and seized multiple mobile phones and storage devices, as well as a knife.
The man was arrested and charged with using a carriage service to possess violent extremist material and possessing or using a prohibited weapon without a permit. ■



