Ukraine launches massive drone attack in Russia's Bryansk: governor-Xinhua

Ukraine launches massive drone attack in Russia's Bryansk: governor

Source: Xinhua

Editor: huaxia

2026-02-16 20:45:00

MOSCOW, Feb. 16 (Xinhua) -- "The most powerful and massive" drone attack was carried out by the Ukrainian military in Russia's Bryansk region since the start of the conflict, damaging energy infrastructure facilities, regional governor Alexander Bogomaz said on Monday.

He further said the attacks lasted for more than 12 hours from the morning on Feb. 15 until around 8:00 p.m. local time (1700 GMT), while Russian forces intercepted and destroyed more than 170 fixed-wing drones during the time period.

A total of 229 drones were destroyed within 24 hours in the region starting from 8:00 a.m. (0500 GMT) on Feb. 15, he added.

The strikes damaged multiple power supply facilities, temporarily disrupting electricity and heating services in five municipal districts of the region and parts of the regional capital, he said, noting that emergency crew restored power and heating after about three hours by repairing infrastructure and activating backup systems.

The Ukrainian military also struck other regions between Feb. 15 and 16. In the Belgorod region, 88 drones were detected over the past 24 hours, of which 51 were shot down.

Several residential buildings, commercial and public facilities, as well as power infrastructure were damaged, and at least one person was injured. Meanwhile, the Kursk and Kaluga regions reported that 25 and 14 drones, respectively, were downed over the past day.

The Ukraine side has not commented on the attacks so far.